1. Frontenac Heritage Festival - Take a trip north of the city for this weekend long annual festival, running Feb. 17 to 20. The festival aims to celebrate the character, richness and history of Frontenac County and this year, attendees can check out a polar plunge, a variety show featuring a special ‘Frontenac’s Got Talent’ competition, heritage walks, curling, skating and more. Events take place throughout Sharbot Lake, Arden and Tichborne. For more information visit the event website.
2. Kingston Frontenacs Hockey - Take in a game, or two or even three this long weekend as the Kingston Frontenacs host Peterborough on Friday Feb. 17 at 7 p.m., London on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. and Barrie on Family Day, Feb. 20, at 2 p.m. Come out and cheer on the hometown team. For more information and tickets visit the Frontenacs website.
3. CRCA Snowshoe demonstration - If you’ve ever thought about adding snowshoeing to your repertoire of outdoor winter activities, you’re invited to come out to the Outdoor Centre at the Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area on Sunday, Feb. 19 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. for a special snowshoe demonstration clinic. Join experts from Trailhead Kingston for a hands-on (or more accurately ‘feet-on’) workshop and learn about this fun activity, which is also a great form of exercise. The event is open to all ages and all experience levels. For more information check out the CRCA website.
4. St. George’s Cathedral Choral Evensong – Come out to beautiful St. George’s Cathedral for a service of Choral Evensong on Sunday, Feb. 19 from 5 to 6 p.m. The Cathedral Evensong Choir will sing music by Herbert Howells, John Sanders, and Canadian composer Richard Baker. Call 613-548-4617 or visit the cathedral website for more information.
5. Family Day Artstravaganza! At the Tett Centre – Looking for a creative way to spend Family Day? Come out to the Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning and take part in a variety of activities starting at 6:30 a.m. with a Dawnshaker Dance Party and running until 4 p.m. on Feb. 20. Other events include a t-shirt printing workshop, multi-cultural arts festival, kids creativity club, dance workshops and more. For a full list of events and time visit the event page.
6. Teddy Bear Hospital Family Day Programs – Enjoy a day with the family at the Museum of Healthcare on Feb. 20, from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This event is recommended for kids ages three to eight with adult accompaniment. Participants are invited to bring a teddy bear or other special stuffed animal to the museum where trained teddy doctors and nurses will be on hand to treat bumps, lumps and bruises. The event aims to entertain kids while also teaching them that doctors and hospitals aren’t so scary. Cost is $5 per child and pre-registration is required and can be done by calling (613) 548-2419, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or book online.
7. Family Day skating - Whether you prefer skating indoors or outdoors, you can enjoy some public skating on Family Day in the city. Come out to the INVISTA Centre for free public skating from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 20, also enjoy outdoor skating at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or enjoy free public skating at Market Square behind City Hall all day.